Our Dairy Free Lives

I'm starting this blog to give people insight into our life without dairy (and tree nuts, and peanuts, and oats, and coconut, and watermelon....), as well as into our lives in general. I hope you enjoy!



Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's HIS dream

So, my son passed his baked in dairy challenge. I have not been here to post about it because he was diagnosed the day before the food challenge with Asperger's Syndrome, and it has been keeping me busy and throwing me for a loop.

Anyhow, now that he's passed he can have up to 1/4 cup of BAKED dairy per day. And he should be able to move up to 1/2 cup in October if everything goes well.

One of the foods that Dr. Wood suggested to us was original (not cheese flavor) Goldfish crackers. I cringed, I made a noise of protest, and Dr Wood looked at my son, then back at me and said "It's HIS dream."

Ok, now I'm a little emotional as I write, because I really shrugged it off and I didn't go out and buy the goldfish right away. I hate the little things. They're ground into waiting room carpets and slimed onto playground equipment in most of the developed world. They've turned my world, and my son's world, into a literal minefield every day for the last three years. And now I'm supposed to feed them to him?

I broke down and bought them yesterday. Dr. Wood's admonishment was tugging at my heart. Are some little fish shaped crackers REALLY my son's dream?

As it turns out, yes. They're his dream. I pulled them out of the cupboard 20 minutes ago and measured out exactly the serving he can eat. As I was doing that he saw them and started screaming "I LOVE THOSE CRACKERS!!!". He was jumping up and down. I served him his lunch with the side of fish-shaped crackers I've learned to hate, and he is in the kitchen right now swimming them through his plate and into his mouth as I sit at my desk listening, crying, and blogging about how my son has finally gotten to have one thing he's always wanted, always watched other kids eat, always wondered about. Tiny fish-shaped crackers.

Excuse me while I find my tissues *sniff*

1 comment:

  1. Awww...I am glad he is finally able to try something new. Even if it is those miserable little crunchy things..lol.

    ReplyDelete